Sunday, May 23, 2010

INTRODUCTION: Self Portrait and Statement

My name is Alyson Snodgrass and I am a history major, in my junior year. I love to read books, especially American lit and any movie ever made I will watch. As for my feelings towards the direction that popular culture is moving is that I am glad that our culture is becoming more tolerant and open minded. There will always be the ones stuck behind not willing to let us progress as a society because of ignorance or fear, but with media in all forms, the world is becoming smaller and smarter. As long as there is someone willing to push the norm, there will be an ever more growing popular culture influencing the next generation. The only thing that I think is wrong with popular culture today is the strong hold the media has on body image. American culture pushes this need to be perfect ideal to anyone who can watch tv, and it has had an enormous impact on both men and women and how they see themselves. This affects children as well and can make them grow up with a completely wrong idea of what it is to be beautiful and make them messed up for life. Change in popular culture is inevitable, good and bad, it will always happen, but with out it, our culture would not be able to flourish and nurture new generations and we would not be able to share our culture with others nor would we be able to accept new ideas from other cultures.

www.stumbleupon.com is a great site that allows you to surf the web for things youve always wanted to know about

No comments:

Post a Comment